Thursday, November 13, 2008

Crockpot Tamale Pie

First off, let me shout this out...
I PAID $1.91 A GALLON FOR GAS IN MERIDIAN, MISSISSIPPI THE OTHER DAY!!!  WOOHOO!!!!
This makes me especially happy because I am going on a road trip to Missouri this weekend to see my snuggly-wuggly-cutie-patootie little niece who will be three years-old on Saturday.  This is my little precious right here:
  
Aunt Lorie can't wait to see you, sweetie!
***************************************************************************************
I just can't get enough use out of my crockpot.  I love knowing that I've got an entire meal cooking and I don't have to babysit it, that way I never miss my rigorous workouts that I'm so fond of.  This recipe has been adapted from the Fix-It and Forget-It cookbook.  The ingredients will seem very watery when you mix them up, but that's okay.  In the crockpot, they will bake and form a crust that tastes similar to a tamale.  I found that it only takes about three hours on the low setting for this to be done.  Also, I have a hot spot in my crockpot.  One side cooked a little faster than the other and I would have benefited from rotating the crock.  This is not noticeable in my other crockpot meals that have more juice.
I made some slight changes to the recipe.  I decreased the meat to 3/4 pound and added a can of pinto beans.  I also added chopped onion and taco seasoning instead of chili seasoning, but either would work.

Crockpot Tamale Pie

3/4 cup cornmeal
1-1/2 cups milk
1 egg, beaten
3/4 pound ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped
1 envelope taco or chili seasoning
1 (14.25-ounce) can petite diced tomatoes
1 (15.25-ounce) can corn, drained
1 (14.25-ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup grated Colby jack or cheddar cheese
Sour cream
Chopped cilantro

  1. Combine the cornmeal, milk, and egg in a large mixing bowl.
  2. Brown the ground beef with the onion.  Drain well.  Stir into the cornmeal mixture along
    with the taco seasoning, canned tomatoes, corn, and beans.  Transfer mixture to the crock.
  3. Cover and cook on low for about 3 hours.  The top will be slightly puffy and dry looking on top.  Sprinkle with cheese and put lid on until cheese is melted, about 5 minutes.  Top each serving with a dollop of sour cream and some chopped cilantro.
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment