Wednesday, October 28, 2009

White Chocolate Macadamia Muffins And A Shout Out To Taylor


Sunday afternoon I was at home working on the computer and when I checked my email I saw that one of my Facebook buddies had written on my wall.  This is my Facebook buddy:


This was her comment that I have copied and pasted:

 "I just read through your ENTIRE blog. (The rice and beans one.) I am printing out some of the recipes. You are the coolest person I know."   (Emphasis mine)

Let me tell y'all, my head swelled to four times it's normal size and I was giddy the rest of the day.  You know you've really made it in life when a middle schooler thinks "you are the coolest person I know."  And for her to read through my ENTIRE blog?  I have no words, people....I AM QUEEN OF THE BLOGOSPHERE, I AM!!!!!!

Taylor, sweetie, I'd like to dedicate this entire post to you.  Keep cooking and maybe one day I'll be reading your blog, or better yet, watching YOU on Food Network!

The other day I was in Sam's and I was doing some major bulk shopping and while I was in the baking aisle I heard the faint calling of my name.  I turned around and it sounded like it was coming from a HUGE bag of roasted and salted macadamia nuts and then I heard it again and indeed, it WAS coming from a huge bag of macadamia nuts.  I quickly answered back, because, hello, I am not going to NOT answer someone who calls my name, even if it is a bag of nuts, so I said YES and put them in my buggy.

And I immediately went to Wal-Mart and bought several of these:

Because everyone knows that you just shouldn't have one without the other.  No.

Oh, I made cookies alright, but the real star has been the muffins.  This past summer I was in a little store in Georgia that carried imported items and right by a big jar of Nutella was what looked like a white chocolate version of Nutella, and I am SO kicking myself for not buying it because how good would that have been slathered on these muffins?  Note to self:  Work on a recipe for white chocolate butter.

If you make these:

-Take care not to overbake them.  I did once and they were just not as good. 

-I love chopping my own nuts because I like 'em kind of big, but you could certainly used the pre-chopped kind.

-I sometimes add in a whole cup of white chocolate chips.  I also used extra drizzle because I have a tendency to overdo things like white chocolate.

This recipe won me a second place prize in Taste of Home Magazine a few years ago.  I've copied and pasted the recipe below, but you can click here if you want to see how much fat and calories are in one muffin.  Beware.  It's not pretty.   

White Chocolate Macadamia Muffins

1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour

3/4 cup sugar

2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 egg

1/2 cup milk

1/4 cup butter, melted

3/4 cup white baking chips

3/4 cup chopped macadamia nuts

Glaze:

1/2 cup white baking chips

2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream

1.  In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, combine the egg, milk and butter; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in chips and nuts.

2.  Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 400° for 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.

3.  For glaze, in a microwave, melt chips with cream at 70% power for 1 minute; stir. Microwave at additional 10- to 20-second intervals, stirring until smooth. Drizzle over warm muffins. Serve warm. Yield: 1 dozen.



Pin It!

9 comments:

  1. First of all, the muffins look delish. We will be serving them this weekend when J & J arrive.
    Second of all...I am soooo jealous that you have been elected the coolest person by Taylor.
    And THEN to be elevated to the Queen of the blogosphere....well, I may just go back to bed.
    Seriously, very good choice Taylor! Congratulations Lorie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe! Taylor and you are so cool!!
    I still hope I am your number one out of US fan!! ;)
    -Divya
    bangalore, India

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pam- Glad J and J are coming. Fun times! Do you have a big old computer question list for the J's? Let them eat first. -signed "The Queen" ;o)
    Divya- Yes girl, you are defnitely my number one (and only! heh, heh) "Out of the US" fan!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whaaaaaaaa? How come I don't get "props" like that? LOL! I've told you numerous times how awesome you are....is it wrong to be jealous of a little girl? :)
    Those muffins sound awesome! My own twin, Jalen loves anything white chocolate so he'd be all over these!
    Hey, and get on that white chocolate hazelnut (or macadamia) butter, will ya?! 'Kay? Kay!
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love white chocolate and macadamia nuts and your muffins sound delicious! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lorie,
    I just discovered your blog and I must say I am impressed! These muffins look divine and I have already added everything I need to make these to my next grocery shopping expedition (it takes a bit more planning for me as I live in a fly in/fly out town in the arctic). I can't wait to make these for my sister-in-law and me to enjoy as they will bring back some fun memories of when we used to work together and this kind of cookie was our big treat every time we had a huge work project. Can't wait to see all your new ideas - thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lorie,
    I just discovered your blog and I must say I am impressed! These muffins look divine and I have already added everything I need to make these to my next grocery shopping expedition (it takes a bit more planning for me as I live in a fly in/fly out town in the arctic). I can't wait to make these for my sister-in-law and me to enjoy as they will bring back some fun memories of when we used to work together and this kind of cookie was our big treat every time we had a huge work project. Can't wait to see all your new ideas - thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lorie,
    I just found your website and I LOVE it! These muffins look divine and I can't wait to try them. I've already added the few things I need to my list for my next grocery shopping expedition. (I live in a wee fly-in/ fly-out town in the arctic, so it takes a bit of planning.).
    I can't wait to see what you come up with next - thanks! :D

    ReplyDelete