Monday, May 10, 2010

Cajun Chicken Fritters With Creole Mustard Dipping Sauce

 
About five years ago, I got a call from a representative at the National Chicken Cooking Contest, telling me that my recipe had been chosen to represent Mississippi in their cook-off.  This was my first win and probably only the second or third recipe that I had ever submitted to any contest.  That call really changed my life in many ways.  It gave me a hobby.  This hobby took me and my family around the country to more cook-offs.  It brought in some cash and prizes.  I think the best thing it gave me, though, were cooking friends around the country that I never would have met otherwise.  I love my cooking friends. 

This is the recipe that started it all.  My daughter asked for these the other day, so I fried up a batch.  Here are a couple of things you need to know if you make them:

-When I originally wrote the recipe, I included 1 teaspoon of liquid crab boil.  Somehow that ingredient never made it to the final draft of the recipe that was in the chicken cookbook.  I fried up some with it and some without it the other day, and it was unanimous that the ones with the crab boil addition were better.  I recommend adding it in.  

-If you can't find Creole mustard for the sauce, you can substitute another grainy mustard.  I love, love, love Zatarain's Creole mustard.

-I use a cookie scoop to scoop the batter into the hot oil.  Don't overcrowd them, and make sure to let the oil come back up to temperature between fryings.

Cajun Chicken Fritters with Creole Mustard Dipping Sauce


1 cup flour
1/2 cup yellow corn meal
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
4 eggs, separated
1 cup buttermilk
1 tablespoon butter, melted
2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce
2 teaspoons Creole seasoning
1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons liquid crab boil (I use Zatarain’s), optional
4 tablespoons grated onion
1/4 cup chopped green bell peppers
1/4 cup chopped red bell peppers
1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
3 1/2 cups cooked, shredded chicken
3 tablespoon canola oil
1 1/2 cups mayonnaise
3 tablespoons creole mustard
1 1/2 tablespoons horseradish

In large mixing bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, salt and baking soda. Stir in slightly
beaten egg yolks, buttermilk, butter, hot pepper sauce, Creole seasoning, and
liquid crab boil, if using. Add grated onion, green and red bell peppers, red
pepper flakes, and chicken. Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form and gently
fold into batter. In Dutch oven, place canola oil to depth of 2 inches and
heat over medium high heat to 375 degree F. Drop batter by rounded spoonfuls
or medium scoop into hot oil, about 5 or 6 at a time. Fry about 3 minutes or
until golden brown, turning once. Drain fritters on paper towels and arrange
on serving platter. Serve with Creole Mustard Dipping Sauce. Makes 35-40
fritters.


Creole Mustard Dipping Sauce:
In small bowl, stir together 1 1/2 cups mayonnaise, 3 tablespoons Creole
mustard and 1 1/2 tablespoons horseradish.


Pin It!

15 comments:

  1. My children aren't especially fond of chicken nuggets but these aren't your Mama's nuggets are they? I'm thinking they'd love these babies.
    I generally try to avoid frying but for these I'll break out the fry daddy!
    Thanks for sharing!
    ~ingrid
    Btw, I'm not close to Panana City. It's about 6/7 hours from here. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum we will try this ! We love cajun food, especially because were from the south !

    Please check out our blog too !

    ReplyDelete
  4. having a southern 'house'pitality party on Saturday. These are on the menu. I'll let you know how they turn out :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm having a southern housepitality party (house-warming) on Saturday and I'm definitely making these. Hope they turn out as beautiful as yours :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You had me at Fritters! Yum! I will have to try! I am following your blog, please stop by anytime

    Annamaria

    ReplyDelete
  7. Andrea in Toronto, CanadaDecember 30, 2012 at 12:31 PM

    I love your blog. Came across it entirely by fluke. We love canjun flavour. The ingredients are sometimes difficult to find, but I have found a wholesaler in Toronto who carries everything. My little secret gem. I am making your chicken fritters as an appetizer for New Year's. They sound so delicious. Will let you know how they turn out. Thanks for your fabulous posts!
    Andrea in Toronto, Canada

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am thinking this will be added to my cookbooks for the family. Awesome, can't wait to try!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am thinking this will be added to my cookbooks for the family. Awesome, can't wait to try!

    ReplyDelete
  10. can you tell me what is liquid crab boil (I use Zatarain’s), ??

    anxious to try this recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous--Yes, I use Zatarain's. I am placing a link so you can see what it looks like. If you can't find it you can just leave it out.

      http://www.lacrawfish.com/Zatarains-Liquid-Crab-Boil-8-oz-P148.aspx?gclid=CLrz78SL0LUCFQUGnQodIxkA1Q

      Delete
  11. Would this work substituting clams for the chicken, do you think? My favorite fritter is clam fritter, but I don't have a decent recipe for it and wondering if this one would work for it? Chicken ones sound good, too, though!

    ReplyDelete
  12. you are one lucky person then, if you do what you love, got you money and go around the country

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW! This is one delicious bite of chicken! Fritters and chicken all in one dish - genius!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh yum! I am so glad that I found your site. I'm a Mississippi girl too! Following along per e mail and can't wait to try some of these fabulous recipes!

    ReplyDelete