Thursday, June 17, 2010

Snickers Salad























A couple of months ago, I bought a church cookbook from a lady at my church who was selling them for her daughter who goes to another church.

There are a lot of churches here in the South.  Most of them have cookbooks.

Anyway, I was thumbing through the cookbook, and my eyes were immediately drawn to a recipe called Snickers Salad, for obvious reasons.  It reminded me of a fruit salad my mother made when we were young, except this looked WAY better, because, hello, chopped up Snickers bars instead of oranges and bananas. 
 
I had never heard of Snickers Salad, which is surprising, because it's drenched in Cool Whip, and it's a widely known fact that desserts drenched in Cool Whip grace every southern function that has food, from church homecomings to after-the-mud-bog-eatin's, to many, many more.  So, I'm wondering why I haven't ran into this recipe before?  It's a mystery to me because I've eaten a lot of Cool Whipped desserts in my time.

I made it for a family get-together recently, and just ever so slightly adapted the recipe to fit my own personal needs (I added honey roasted peanuts and drizzled with caramel).  I really liked it, and I was patting myself on the back thinking I am SO on to something here, but then I Googled it, and no less than 47 million thousand hundred recipes, posts, and pictures came up for Snickers Salad.

Darn.

But here it is anyway because I like it, and I can post things that I like on my very own personal blog. 

Booya, Internet, booya. 


Snickers Salad

Printable Recipe

1 (8-ounce) container Cool Whip
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
6 full size Snickers bars, chopped into bite-size pieces
3 small green apples, chopped into bite-size pieces
3/4 cup honey roasted peanuts
1/4 cup or more caramel ice cream topping

Stir together the Cool Whip, powdered sugar, and vanilla
until smooth.  Add the Snickers bars,
apples, and peanuts; stir to evenly coat.
Drizzle the top with caramel topping.

Pin It!

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE snickers salad--and your addition of the peanuts and caramel is BRILLIANT! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard of this dessert salad for the first time today, and, like you, I Googled it, which is how I found your blog and recipe. I'm going to try your version, just because you are able to be the 47 million thousand hundred and first!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea... I can feel myself gaining weight and stepping into a sugar high just reading about it.. but am thinking it would be worth it! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete