Monday, September 5, 2011

Biscoff Buttercream Snickerdoodle Whoopie Pies


So the bloggy world has been all abuzz about Biscoff spread, making me pea green with envy because I didn't know where I would find a jar without driving two hours or making an internet order. But last night after church, I made a quick dash to Wal-Mart to pick up a few groceries, and behold, in the peanut butter aisle, right next to the Nutella, I saw this glorious sight:


I knew we would become fast friends.

And this morning, when I woke up to gentle sound of rain, not to mention the tornado warning beeping on the Weather Channel, I knew that before the day was over I'd be baking something.  It was just that kind of rainy day weather that sends me to the kitchen.

And to seek shelter in a bathtub with a mattress over my head, but that's neither here nor there.

Anyway, Biscoff is a silky European spread made from Biscoff cookies.  Think peanut butter.  Think Nutella.  If you like Nutella, you will probably like Biscoff.  Most of my jar went into the buttercream to fill my snickerdoodle whoopie pies.  My daughter and her crew came over for a rainy Labor Day get together and we all devoured them with lots of ooh's and aah's.  They loved.  I love also.

Here are my notes:

-The dough is a little sticky, so use two spoons to roll it in the sugar and transfer to the baking sheet.  It doesn't have to be perfectly round, though.  I use an ice cream scoop that measures 1/4 cup.









































 -I used a piping bag with a very large star tip to pipe the frosting on half of them, but you could use a spatula and spread it on too.  Whatever floats your boat.

-Chilling the dough may give you a more rounded, puffy look if that is what your going for.  I was too impatient to chill mine.  But I may do that in the future.

-Let the cakes cool completely before frosting.


Biscoff Buttercream Snickerdoodle Whoopie Pies


Cakes:
Nonstick cooking spray
1/2 cup butter
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon cinnamon

Buttercream:
1 1/2 sticks butter, room temperature
3/4 cup Biscoff spread
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Spray two large baking sheets with nonstick cooking spray.  In a large mixing bowl, beat together the butter, 1 cup light brown sugar, the egg and vanilla until light and fluffy.  Combine the baking powder, baking soda, salt, and flour in a large bowl.  Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture alternately with the buttermilk, beating on medium speed until combined, stopping to scrape down the sides several times.

Stir together 1/2 cup sugar and the cinnamon in a small bowl.  Drop the dough by a 1/4 cup measure ice cream or cookie scoop into the cinnamon sugar mixture and coat all sides using two spoons (dough will be sticky).  Place onto the baking sheets spacing about 3 inches apart.  Bake for 15 minutes, until they're set and firm to the touch. Remove from oven and cool completely on pans.

Meanwhile, beat the 1 1/2 sticks butter, the Biscoff spread, and the powdered sugar together on high speed until smooth and fluffy.  Spread the flat side of half of the cooled cakes with the buttercream, then sandwich with another cake, flat side on buttercream.   (Or use a piping bag and large star tip to pipe the on frosting.)  Makes about 8 whoopie pies.



        
            
Pin It!

6 comments:

  1. They look perfect! Now I'll be looking for Biscoff--I'll bet it would be good spread on a waffle. Or my finger...But a Snickerdoodle Whoopie Pie? You are killing me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that is a title you cant ignore! These sound like they would be unforgettably good :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely blog!

    I have to make these whoopie pies soon, as Biscoff is completely my new crack! We were in Atlanta this summer and my sister got me hooked on this stuff. Unfortunately, I've not seen it here in Maryland :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look divine! I need to go on a Biscoff Spread hunt right away.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, y'all go get some Biscoff right away! Run! And thank you all for the nice comments.:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your whoopee pies look beautiful. Bid off buttercream, love it!

    ReplyDelete