Monday, February 6, 2012

Crispy Coconut Shrimp with Sweet but Sultry Strawberry Dip


Did you know Valentine's Day is almost upon us?  It is.  

You wanna see my Valentine?  Here he is:

He looks kind of mean here, but he's really a gentle giant.  He likes football and hunting and he always gets out and reads historical markers.  He also hunts the old fashioned way.  With gun powder and a powder horn and a flintlock muzzle loader.


He's very unique.  One of a kind.  And he's all mine.

And I'm glad that he is.

So I like to keep my man happy by making him something special every now and then.  And this recipe fits the bill.

Golden, crispy coconut-crusted shrimp with a sweet and spicy strawberry dipping sauce.  Sounds kind of weird, but honestly, it's delicious.  

Here are my notes:

-I only put 1 chipotle pepper in the dip because I am a wimp when it comes to spicy food.  A wimp.  If you like it really spicy you could put 2 peppers in, or you could put a teaspoon of the adobo sauce from the can, or you could leave the seeds in.  Or all three if your tongue is made of steel.

-The shrimp will cook fast if the oil is hot.  Don't overcook it or it will become rubbery.

-The sauce can be made the day before and warmed in the microwave.  

-The strawberries should be diced very finely for the dip.

-This could be an appetizer or it could be the main course.  Whichever.

Crispy Coconut Shrimp with Sweet but Sultry Strawberry Dip

Printable Recipe

Nonstick cooking spray
1 tablespoon red onion, very finely chopped
2 tablespoons strawberry preserves
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
1 chipotle pepper, seeds removed and very finely diced
1 cup fresh strawberries, washed, hulled, and very finely diced

Canola oil, for frying
1 cup sweetened, flaked coconut
1/2 cup panko crumbs
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 egg whites
3/4 cup all –purpose flour
3/4 pound large shrimp, deveined and peeled with tails left on

Coat a small nonstick skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium heat until hot.  Add the red onions and cook until soft and transparent.  Add the strawberry preserves, red wine vinegar, brown sugar, and the chipotle pepper.  Whisk until smooth.  Add the finely chopped strawberries and cook for about 3 minutes or until mixture starts to boil.  Remove from heat and set aside to cool to warm. 

Pour oil to a depth of about 1/2 inch into a large skillet over medium-high heat.  Toss coconut, panko crumbs and salt in a pie plate. Beat egg whites in another pie plate or shallow dish.  Place the flour in a third pie plate or shallow dish.  Dip shrimp into the flour, shaking off excess, then into the egg whites, then into the coconut mixture, coating all sides.  When oil is very hot, fry shrimp about 3-4 minutes in batches until golden brown and crispy.  Remove to paper towel lined platter for draining.

Serve shrimp with warm strawberry dip.

*For a hotter dip, increase the chipotle pepper to two.

 
Pin It!

13 comments:

  1. What a sweet post!

    I want this shrimp & dip today...and the photos are just stunning :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear this looks so good! Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this kind of sweet/hot thing with crispy shrimp--absolute yum.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Post. It's nice to hear about people who appreciate the love in their life-

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just last week I started to crave Coconut shrimp and bought some at Trader Joe's and made some spicy orange marmalade dip to go with it. It was delicious and easy, but I keep comtemplating making my own from scratch. Couldn't believe when I clicked on your blog that Coconut shrimp's been on your mind too. All I need are the shrimp, everything else is in my pantry :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds delicious! The strawberry dip is a fantastic idea! Our Food Lovers would love to hear about recipes like this on our community page! http://bit.ly/yI0sZU

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not a shrimp fan here, but I can always use a great Strwaberry dip to good use. Thanks for sharing. The pictures are so crisp.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am really liking the sound of that strawberry dipping sauce! Great shots!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love, love, love coconut shrimp. But, have yet to find a recipe that makes me swoon. Looking forward to trying this one! The dipping sauces are so fun and easy to play around with. This rendition sounds amazing. Gorgeous pictures as well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tried this for my mom's birthday and it was a huge hit! The dipping sauce was definitely the star. I couldn't find a chipolte pepper so i used a jalepeno just a small amount and it came out delicious. Can't wait to make this again!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I made this last week and it was amazing! I loved the combination of coconut shrimp and strawberry. I used unsweetened coconut instead of sweetened and blended the dipping sauce a bit so my son could eat it. I absolutely love your photos!

    ReplyDelete