Monday, April 2, 2012

Peanut Butter Zabaglione over Grilled Bananas

We are half moved in.   

Only half.  :(  :(  :(  :(

Wait.

Already HALF!!!!  :)  :)  :)  :) 

I'm trying to work on my attitude.

More specifically, I am trying to be less negative and sarcastic, and more positive and uplifting.  But can I tell you a little secret?

IT AIN'T ALL THAT EASY SOMETIMES, PEEPS!!!!

*Breathe*  Happy happy joy joy.  Rainbows.  Puppies.  Unicorns. *Exhale*

But I press on.  I press on towards that goal.  I will get there one day!!!

Here's something positive.  I finally cooked a real meal in my new kitchen.  In fact, I have cooked two real meals.  See?  See all the positive?

I won't mention that I have yet to move my dining room table.  Because that would be negative.  So I'll just keep that to myself.

But I also made this dessert!  In my new kitchen!

Zabaglione is an Italian custard made from a whole lot of egg yolks AND it starts with a Z so how cool is that?  How many Z things have you eaten lately, huh?  Probably not many.  That's a great reason to make it right there.

Here is a link to listen to how to pronounce it.  It's a tad tricky, but just think how you will impress everyone.  Plus, it's kind of fun to say even if you are just talking to yourself.

This zabaglione has peanut butter in it and is served over bananas that have been grilled.  I love this dessert.  It's kind of elegant, but it's kind of not.  It's like it's both.  Awesome.


 Here are my notes:





-I think this dessert is best served immediately.  The zabaglione gets very thick as it cools, so I like to keep it warm sitting over the water so it's easy to spoon over the bananas.

-You will need ripe but firm bananas.  I wouldn't use them if they are too soft.  They'll probably fall apart.






-It only takes a minute to grill the bananas if your grill pan is very hot.  And you don't have to coat the bananas heavily in brown sugar.  Just a little bit is enough to get a crunchy caramelized exterior.  This time I used dark brown sugar and they were lovely, just lovely.


 
Peanut Butter Zabaglione over Grilled Bananas


8 large egg yolks
1 cup packed light brown sugar, divided
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
6 ripe but firm bananas
2 tablespoons melted butter
6 tablespoons chopped honey-roasted peanuts

Whisk the egg yolks and 2/3 cup light brown sugar in a medium glass bowl until smooth.  Set the bowl over a saucepan of simmering water, making sure the bottom of the bowl does not touch the water.  Whisk until it has thickened and the sugar dissolves, about 5-6 minutes. Turn off heat.  Whisk the peanut butter and vanilla into the egg mixture. Cover and leave the peanut butter mixture over the water to keep warm.

Peel bananas and cut in half lengthwise, then cut in half horizontally. Place 1/3 cup brown sugar into a pie plate.  Spray a grill pan with nonstick cooking spray and heat over high heat until very hot.  Brush bananas with melted butter, then carefully press each banana piece in the brown sugar until coated front and back, shaking off excess.  Grill bananas until golden brown and caramelized, flipping once.  Divide the bananas into 6 dessert bowls or glasses, then spoon the zabaglione over the top.  Sprinkle each with the peanuts.


Pin It!

3 comments:

  1. Oh I know exactly about how messy and exhausting a moving can be...I just moved 3 months ago so I KNOW :) Also, this zabaglione looks just gorgeous! Simple yet a bit fancy..perfect to impress and so easy to make. It can't get any better :) Oh I always check how to pronounce these stuffs, yesterday I was trying to learn how to say mille feuille :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous, just gorgeous! I love how pretty the bananas get when you grill them.

    I feel your pain! I'm throwing/giving away a ton of stuff just because I don't want to move it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a gorgeous dessert and so creative! Moving must be so hard...that is why we still are in the same house 17 years later. Good luck and happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete