Friday, February 22, 2013

Nutella-Mascarpone Mousse with Strawberry Coulis


I guess I may be the only woman alive who doesn't care about Valentine's Day?  Maybe I should care more, but I just don't.  Hubby and I don't really do Valentine's Day anymore.

Because *we* show our love to each other all. year. long.

And twice on Sundays.  Bow chicka wow wow!

[Eeeeeerrrrrrmmmmmyyyyyygersh, did I just say that?!?!  Oh, I kid.  Just running my mouth, folks, just running my mouth.]

But seriously, I *did* get a kick out of seeing all the youngsters in my Facebook feed post pictures of the teddy bears their boyfriends got them.

And some of them were not even youngsters.

Which is a little disturbing to me.

Because why does anyone over the age of five need a teddy bear anyway?  I don't get it.  Help me to understand. 

And who's bright idea was it anyway to attach some cheesy mylar balloons to a beautiful bouquet of roses, huh? 

I mean, TAKE A RIDE ON THE TACKY BUS!!!!

If I sound like I am making fun of people, yes.  I'm in one of *those* moods.

So before I offend my entire readership of eleven people with my radical anti-Valentine speech, here is the long, lost Valentine's recipe I was going to post before life happened.

Here are my notes:

-The coulis really makes this pop.  (And if you'd rather just say strawberry sauce, it's fine by me.)  But it's really easy and you should make it.

-You can substitute 8 ounces cream cheese for the mascarpone.

-You could actually increase the Nutella too, for a more intense chocolate flavor. 


PS.  Just for the record, hubby has gotten me roses and Valentines stuff many times before.  Roses with mylar balloons attached.  And I am sure at the time I thought they were the most gorgeous balloons and roses ever.



 
Nutella-Mascarpone Mousse with Strawberry Coulis


1 cup heavy cream
3 tablespoons powdered sugar
8 ounces mascarpone cheese, softened to room temperature,
1/2 cup Nutella

Beat the heavy cream on high speed with a wire whisk attachment until foamy.  Slowly add the powdered sugar and beat until stiff peaks form. Refrigerate until needed.   

In another bowl, beat the mascarpone cheese and Nutella onmedium speed until smooth and creamy, stopping to scrape down sides.  Fold in the whipped cream.  Chill for 30 minutes.  Serve drizzled with strawberry coulis. 

*Can substitute 8 ounces softened cream cheese for mascarpone cheese

Strawberry Coulis

3 cups fresh or frozen strawberries
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon lemon juice

Heat the strawberries, sugar, and lemon juice in a medium heavy saucepan over medium heat for 5-10 minutes, stirring frequently or until mixture bubbles and berries are soft.  Transfer to a food processor or blender and process until smooth.  Cool completely before serving.  Store in refrigerator.

Pin It!

1 comment:

  1. Love the 'take a ride on the tacky bus' comment! I'm going to borrow that one. The recipe looks wonderful too.....

    ReplyDelete