Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Roasted Apple Salted Caramelitas

I think we all know that I am long overdue for a fattening fall treat on this blog.  The last three posts have been about vegetables and that's probably some kind of record for me.

I think these bars will satisfy your autumn sweet tooth.  I know they did mine.  I'm ashamed of how many of these I put away.  I will NEVER tell anyone how many I ate.

Never.  Ever.

Alright, I ate six.

In my defense, this recipe only makes a small 8 x 8 pan.  That is so not big.

Plus, there are apples in them.  An apple a day keeps the doctor away, I've heard.

Then there are the oats.  Oats are good for you.  [Feeling better all the time.]

I would take these over a brownie any day.  These were crazy good.  But I won't make them again for a long time because I simply cannot be trusted.

I am weak when it comes to caramelitas.  Weak and pitiful.  And selfish.

Read my notes if you decide to make them, because, you see, I have gone before you.  I have some things to say.

PS.  I did not eat six at one time.  I only ate four at one time, then I devoured the other two the next day.  I just didn't want you to think I was a pig.

PPS.  There are some {{{ADORABLE}}}} fall pictures of my grandson at the bottom of this post.  Because I can, you know. ;)



My notes:



--I used honeycrisp apples which is my new favorite variety.  Now, I know there are going to be some apple baking experts that are going to say that honeycrisps are not good for baking, but you know what?  I ate six.  Enough said.

--Let them cool.  Don't be like me and cut into them while they're warm.  Oh sure, they will melt in your mouth and make you think you have died and gone to heaven, but they will fall apart.

--These probably need to be stored in the fridge because of the apples, but let them come to room temperature before you eat them.  Or zap them in the microwave.



--I love roasting fruit when I add it to desserts instead of baking the fruit into them.  The fruit gets caramelized and that deepens the flavor.

--I added 1 teaspoon of fleur de del, but I really feel like I could have upped it.  Also, I think maybe sprinkling some salt on top would not be a bad idea.  And bacon crumbles.  I think bacon crumbles on this would be quite awesome.



Roasted Apple Salted Caramelitas


3 medium baking apples, peeled and chopped
2 tablespoons melted butter
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar

3/4 cup melted butter
3/4 cup dark brown sugar, packed
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup quick cooking oats
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup chopped, toasted walnuts, divided

1 (11-ounce) bag caramel melting bits
1/4 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons butter
1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons fleur de sel

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Toss the apples, 2 tablespoons melted butter, and 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar together.  Spread on a baking sheet and roast in oven for 30-40 minutes or until tender and golden brown, stirring several times.  Set aside.

Combine 3/4 cup melted butter, 3/4 cup dark brown sugar, the flour, oats, and baking soda. Stir in 1/2 cup walnuts.  Pat half of the oatmeal mixture into the bottom of an 8 x 8 inch baking pan sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. 

Meanwhile, combine caramels, cream, 2 tablespoons butter, and the fleur de sel in a small saucepan over low heat. Stir until completely smooth.  When base comes out of oven, spread the apples over it, then the remaining 1/2 cup walnuts.  Drizzle evenly with the caramel.  Crumble remaining oatmeal mixture evenly over the caramel. Return to oven and bake for 15-20 minutes, until the edges are lightly browned. Do not over bake.  Remove from oven and cool completely before cutting.

*Store in fridge but they should be brought to room temperature before eating.

AND NOW FOR THE ADORABLE FALL PICTURES!!!!!!!!!














COULD YOU JUST DIE?!



Pin It!

1 comment: