Saturday, September 27, 2008

Aunt Thelma's Orange Carrot Cookies

 

















A few years ago, my mother gave me a recipe that was given to her by my Aunt Thelma, my dad's sister, when I was just a little girl back in the seventies.

The recipe is handwritten on paper that has yellowed with age, and the ink has bled and ran, probably because of the shortening that has been accidentally smeared on it from the many times it has been used.  I can still remember being in my aunt's kitchen the day I first tasted these cookies. She was babysitting my sister and me and we eagerly watched as she made made them for us.  Her son, Shawn, our cousin, was also there and although I don't remember much, I do remember it being a really fun day.

This recipe is very special to me and the actual sheet of paper even more so.  I guess it's silly to be sentimental about a piece of paper, but when I look at it,  I can still see my aunt writing out the recipe along with a short note to my mother, and it takes me back to a pleasant and carefree place.  For just a moment, I am a little girl again, anxiously waiting for cookies to cool, with no concerns of failing economies and financial bail outs.  My biggest worry then was how many cookies I would be allowed to eat.

I made these cookies exactly as the recipe was written more than thirty years ago.  My daughter just loves them; I've made them for her several times.  They are soft and puffy and the only thing I changed was to add a little more orange juice to the frosting.

Aunt Thelma, if you're reading this, I hope you know how much I love you.  I think of you often and I keep you in my prayers always.  Thanks for a wonderful memory and a recipe that I can share over and over again with the people I love.


Orange Carrot Cookies

3/4 cup shortening

1 cup sugar

1 egg

1 teaspoon vanilla

1 cup cooked, mashed carrots

2 cups all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 cup chopped walnuts

Frosting:

1 tablespoon orange juice (or a little bit more for desired consistency)

1 cup powdered sugar

The zest of one orange

  1. Cream the shortening and sugar on medium speed; add the egg.  Add all ingredients except the nuts and beat until combined.  Stir in the nuts.
  2. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto lightly greased cookie sheet.  Bake at 375 degrees for 12-15 minutes or until light golden brown on bottoms.
  3. Meanwhile, whisk together all the ingredients for the frosting until smooth, adjusting the amount of orange juice to drizzling consistency.
  4. When the cookies are done, transfer to a wire rack that has been placed over a baking sheet.  Drizzle with the frosting and let cool completely.  About 3 dozen.

Pin It!

24 comments:

  1. What a nice memory. The cookies look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look really yummy--I think I'll try them tomorrow. And I totally get it about a special handwritten batter splattered recipe. I have one for southern biscuits from my sweet grandma. You should think about framing your Aunt Thelma's recipe and giving it a place of honor in your kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa-Thanks so much!
    Lori-That is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope Aunt Thelma reads this. She would be so touched. They really were good cookies.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so nice! Thank you for sharing such a wonderful story and recipe.
    These would be perfect to make if you have leftover carrots.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love old family recipes! I bet you made your aunt very proud, the cookies look great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm telling you-I don't know Aunt Thelma but I've had these cookies when I was a little girl at church. I used to love them so I've got to make them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a great way to serve carrots to the kids... :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. These cookies look great, my husband loves carrot cake I bet he'd love these too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How did I miss these? They look really good! I've just added these on my list to try. I have some of those old recipes, too, and I'm grateful that I never rewrote them. Nice story. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank-you for this memory, i went and dug out my old recipe box that my father left me, and hand wrote this recipe for my family.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my God...this is my favorite recipe that my mother used to make when I was a girl. I make them every Thanksgiving and Christmas for my family in her memory. They are soooooo soft and delicious even before icing them. My recipe comes from an old Betty Crocker Cookie Cookbook from 1963. The only difference is that there's 3/4 c. shredded coconut in the cookies and it doesn't call for walnuts. Best cookies EVER, and I've never seen anyone else with the recipe until now. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! I had no idea where the original recipe came from, but that sounds about right. Love me some Betty Crocker.:)

      Delete
  13. I have that recipe, also handwritten from my mother. We made them every Christmas and delivered them to friends and family as a gift a day or two before Christmas. I still love them and will make a batch in June this year! Thank you for sharing such a great basic recipe!
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  14. I made a scrapbook/recipe book for my daughters with recipes of mine, their grandmother and great-grandmother. I made copies just the way the recipes were. If they were written on the back of an envelope that was the way I put them in their books. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Made these yesterday, so amazing, family loved them, thanks for sharing a beautiful memory. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you use oil in place of shortening?

      Delete
  16. I have a recipe written out like that too!! Its that special bond we still have with our family that only we can understand. I found one of my moms cookie recipes as I was preparing to make cookies for my sons wedding a couple years ago. So I made that cookie for him and copied the recipe and put in in a ablum of memories for him and his wife.

    ReplyDelete
  17. cant wait to try these

    ReplyDelete
  18. What is meaned with 3/4 cup shortening ???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. shorting is soled shortening, like Crisco in the can.

      Delete
    2. Shortening is solid shortening (oil), like Crisco in a can. Hope that helps.

      Delete
  19. what is meaned with 3/4 cup shortening ???

    ReplyDelete
  20. Awwww thanks so much for sharing your sentiments...sometimes just a simple handwritten note is a lost art with all the internet and email, etc. I can't wait to try this as I have a garden full of carrots that need to be harvested before it gets too cold. ;-)

    ReplyDelete